Food and Agriculture Analyst
The Breakthrough Institute is a leading global research center that leverages high-quality scholarship to identify practical solutions to major environmental and human development challenges.
Breakthrough is widely recognized for its optimistic framework to protect ecosystems and species by prioritizing modernization, innovation, and human well-being. We are working to find pragmatic, scalable ways of meeting a growing population’s demand for food while reducing the environmental footprint of agriculture, and are seeking to hire a full-time analyst to build on and expand this work.
The Food and Agriculture Analyst will perform quantitative and qualitative research to further our understanding of food and agricultural systems. Tasks will include literature reviews, internal memo writing, data analysis, project scoping, and authoring papers, reports, and popular articles.
The ideal candidate will have experience in the area of food and agriculture as well as a broad range of analytical and research methods from critical reviews of academic studies, to memo writing, data analysis, and strong presentation skills. Ability to take direction and work in a group is essential.
This role is full time, based in our office in downtown Oakland. Ideally, the candidate would be available to start as soon as possible.
- Review and analyze agricultural practices and technologies from a sustainability perspective
- Write internal memos, popular pieces for the website or external publications, and collaborate on peer-reviewed articles
- Make professional presentations of results to staff and outside experts
- Work with Breakthrough’s external network of scholars, journalists, entrepreneurs, and philanthropists
- Master’s degree in relevant field required
- Strong research skills, quantitative as well as qualitative
-Strong presentation skills, both written and oral, for internal and external communication
- Strong critical thinking skills and the ability to challenge conventional thinking around agriculture and sustainability
Competitive salary commensurate with experience.
To apply: Please send a cover letter that explains your interest in food and agriculture and engages with Breakthrough's work; a resume/CV; and three references (name, affiliation, email, and phone number). Email applications to info [at] thebreakthrough [dot] org with the subject line "Food and Agriculture Position."