The Breakthrough Institute is an energy and environmental research center based in Oakland, California. Our work is premised on the belief that humans can protect nature by using technology to limit the negative impacts on the environment. Basically, we envision a world that is good for both people and nature. We achieve this goal through our three focus areas: energy, conservation, and food and farming. We’re a great team to join. Here’s why.
1. Do a lot. You will get the chance to play an integral role in fundraising and event planning. You will gain first-hand experience working on everything from logistics to content creation to event production on a mix of events with diverse topics. Plus, you’ll get to support the development efforts that make them possible.
2. Learn from the best in the business. You may not have heard of us, but we guarantee you have heard of the ideas that have originated from our research. We convene a powerful network of social scientists, journalists, scholars, academics, innovators, and entrepreneurs. As a part of the team, you will get to learn from the thought leaders and influencers in energy and the environment.
3. Brilliant coworkers who love what they do. We are in this for the same reason – to make a positive impact on the world around us – so we build each other up, support each other, and put our mission above our egos. We’re a friendly and collaborative group. That means you will be able to learn and work with a wide variety of people and skills.
Nuclear Senior Analyst
- Execute existing nuclear research agenda
- Attend meetings as Breakthrough’s nuclear expert, speak on panels, and give interviews on subject knowledge
- Contribute ideas for Breakthrough Dialogues and other events
- Propose collaboration with Senior Fellows and keep Senior Fellows informed of relevant Breakthrough nuclear work
- Contribute nuclear projects to funding proposals and engage with funders as needed
- Undertake qualitative and quantitative research for internal and external use, including memos, reports, working papers, and peer-reviewed publications
- Write articles for the Breakthrough website and external publications
- Contribute to research and funding proposals as needed
- Engage with key audiences on social media such as Twitter
- Follow the discourse on nuclear energy issues and propose new areas of research
- Continuously develop quantitative and qualitative research methods and skills
- Scope out nuclear-related projects for our Breakthrough Generation Fellowship program and supervise Generation fellows
- Reports to Director of Climate and Energy
- Work with Content Director to publish writings on Breakthrough’s website
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience or academic background in energy, nuclear, or environmental policy
- Demonstrated experience writing for non-technical audiences
- Experience critically reviewing and synthesizing academic literature
- Master’s or PhD degree
- Motivation to learn new skills, propose ideas, and take ownership of projects
- Experience with data analysis in Python, R, or similar programs
- Social media presence or desire to develop thought leadership profile in area of expertise
- Normal. Additional hours may be required to meet deadlines. Some travel and evening time may be required depending on events, invitations, presentations, meetings, and other job related work outside of the office.
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience. Health insurance, vision, dental, and vacation.
- Please submit a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to email@example.com. Your cover letter should reflect on Breakthrough’s work and how you could contribute. We encourage you to submit materials as soon as possible, as we will interview and hire on a near-term rolling basis.