The Breakthrough Institute is the nerve center of the ecomodernist movement, a pro-growth, pro-development think tank that advocates technological solutions to environmental problems. As part of that work, the Breakthrough Institute publishes a daily website, regular research reports, and a flagship quarterly journal, the Breakthrough Journal.
Breakthrough is seeking to hire an associate editor to work with the institute’s executive editor across all aspects of producing, publishing, and promoting Breakthrough’s work.
Strong candidates will bring to the role strong writing skills; experience in editing and social media; the ability to learn on the job; and the flexibility to work across several different teams, streams of content, and publication schedules.
This is a mid-level, full-time position reporting to Breakthrough’s executive editor.
- The associate editor will be responsible for generating ideas, editing copy, and managing production of 2-3 journal pieces each issue.
- They will give a final edit to daily web content and handle posting.
- The associate editor will be the lead project-manager for the production of longer-term research reports.
- They will be responsible for compiling and publishing one weekly newsletter and daily social media content.
- The associate editor will be involved in developing editorial strategy and tracking results.
- They will also be involved in implementing a new website redesign in Q2 2023.
- 2-5 years of experience in journalism.
- Broad background knowledge of Breakthrough’s core research and policy interests: energy technology innovation, agricultural research and productivity, international aid and development, and technology regulation.
- Strong writing skills, attention to detail, and willingness to take on new work as it arises.
- Competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- Excellent health insurance, dental, vision, paid leave, retirement plan, life insurance, disability insurance, professional development support, cell phone reimbursement, and commuter benefits.
We encourage you to submit materials as soon as possible, as we will interview and hire on a near-term rolling basis.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and writing sample ONLY to jobs[at]thebreakthrough.org. Please do not submit your application through alternate job sites.
Your email subject should say: <Your Name>: <Open Position You’re Applying For>.
Your email should state how you heard about this position.
Your cover letter should reflect on Breakthrough’s work and how you could contribute.