Digital Dialogue Registration
This year’s Breakthrough Dialogue will be our first live-streamed to a global audience with plenary speakers, Q&A opportunities, and more available to our virtual guests. The pandemic has created some challenges for the Dialogue this year, specifically the number of guests we can host. But, we're embracing this as a chance to open up our programming to more people and embrace new technology that will make this the most accessible Dialogue yet! Our remote attendees will have live and on-demand access to our plenaries and discussions as they’re happening in the room.
At our tenth Dialogue, we'll consider notions of social justice in the context of ecomodernism. Global modernity was both built upon histories of conquest and oppression and gave birth to traditions of liberal universalism, political enfranchisement, and cosmopolitan empathy upon which contemporary demands for justice and equity rest. Read more about this year’s theme here.
Ecomodern Justice For A Multi-Polar World - Thursday, August 5, 2021 (8:30am-9:45am PST)
- Vijaya Ramachandran, Breakthrough Institute
- Vivek Maru, Namati
- W. Gyude Moore, Center for Global Development
- Nils Gilman, Berggruen Institute (Moderator)
Decoupling Social Justice from Green Dogma - Thursday, August 5, 2021 (11:00am-12:15pm PST)
- Omar Wasow, Princeton University
- Jennifer Hernandez, Holland and Knight
- Julian Brave Noisecat, Data for Progress
- Jennifer Bernstein, USC Spatial Sciences Institute
Stuff White People Like? - Friday, August 6, 2021 (8:30am-9:45am PST)
- Amanda Machado, Facilitator & Consultant: Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Justice
- Jason Swann, Western Resource Advocates
- Paul Robbins, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Brandon Keim, Freelance Journalist (Moderator)
Can You Build Fast and Just? - Friday, August 6, 2021 (11:30am-12:35pm PST)
- Jena Lococo, ClearPath
- Clarence Edwards, Friends Committee on National Legislation
- Armond Cohen, Clean Air Task Force
- James Temple, MIT Tech Review (Moderator)
We're also excited to announce that this year, all registered virtual guests will have pre-release access to the new Stewart Brand documentary, We are as Gods, with the opportunity to watch a panel discussion and participate in a Q&A with Stewart himself — one of Breakthrough's own board members.
The film offers a deep dive into the many sides of Stewart Brand — creator of The Whole Earth Catalog, an influential member of Ken Kesey’s Merry Pranksters, and founder of the modern environmental movement.
Our digital access passes are now available and we hope you are able to join us! We have worked closely with our partners at Cavallo Point and Encore Global to ensure our digital program will be an engaging and thought-provoking experience.
Our Dialogue will be live and on-demand from Aug 4 - Aug 6, 2021. Full times and agenda can be found on our events page. A link to our hosted microsite will be provided to those who register the week of the event.