The Cooperative Advantage
Jul 7, 2014
1. "Guano districts; claim by United States," Title 48 U.S. Code, Sec. 1441. 2006 ed. Supp. III, 2009. Available: http://www.gpo.gov/; Accessed: 5/1/2014.
2. Dan O’Donnell, “The Pacific Guano Islands: The Stirring of American Empire in the Pacific Ocean,” Pacific Studies 16, no. 1 (1993), https://ojs.lib.byu.edu/spc/index.php/pacificstudies/article/download/9817/9466.
3. Fareed Zakaria, “The Future of American Power,” Foreign Affairs, May/June 2008, http://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/63394/fareed-zakaria/the-future-of-american-power.
4. World Bank Databank, http://databank.worldbank.org/data/home.aspx.
5. World GDP: Angus Maddison, The World Economy: A Millennial Perspective (Paris, France, OECD, 2001) http://www.ggdc.net/maddison/other_books/appendix_B.pdf. South Korean GDP: World Bank Databank, http://databank.worldbank.org/data/home.aspx.
6. “Crowded Out,” The Economist, September 24, 2011, http://www.economist.com/node/21528986.
7. Clive Ponting, A New Green History of the World: The Environment and the Collapse of Great Civilizations (New York: Penguin Books, 2007), 322-326.
8. “International Energy Statistics,” US Energy Information Agency, http://www.eia.gov/cfapps/ipdbproject/IEDIndex3.cfm?tid=5&pid=57&aid=6.
9. Michael L. Ross, The Oil Curse: How Petroleum Wealth Shapes the Development of Nations (Princeton, NJ: Princeton UP, 2013).
10. Otaviano Canuto and Matheus Cavallari, “Natural Capital and the Resource Curse,” Economic Premise no. 83 (May 2012), http://siteresources.worldbank.org/EXTPREMNET/Resources/EP83.pdf.
11. William Easterly and Ross Levine, “What have we learned from a decade of empirical research on growth? It's Not Factor Accumulation: Stylized Facts and Growth Models,” World Bank Economic Review 15, no. 2 (2001), http://williameasterly.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/33_easterly_levine_itsnotfactoraccumulation_prp.pdf.
12. “Towards a World Without Measles and Rubella,” last updated January 21, 2013, UNICEF, http://www.unicef.org/immunization/index_measles.html.
13. Charles Kenny, Overselling the Web? Development And the Internet (Boulder, CO: Lynne Rienner Publishers, 2006), 57-60.
14. Christine Zhen-Wei Qiang, Alexander Pitt, et al, “Contribution of Information and Communication Technologies to Growth” (working paper, World Bank, Washington, DC, 2004), http://elibrary.worldbank.org/doi/pdf/10.1596/0-8213-5722-0.
15. Charles Kenny, “Ending Global Poverty Through Tax Breaks to Bill Gates,” (unpublished paper, Charles Kenny’s personal blog), http://charleskenny.blogs.com/weblog/files/ictindustsubs.pdf.
16. John Tschetter, Exports Support American Jobs (Washington, DC, International Trade Administration, US Department of Commerce, 2010), http://trade.gov/publications/pdfs/exports-support-american-jobs.pdf.
17. US International Trade Data, Foreign Trade, US Census, http://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/statistics/historical/.
18. US International Trade Data, Foreign Trade, US Census, http://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/statistics/historical/.
19. “Hey Big Spenders,” The Economist, November 9, 2011, http://www.economist.com/node/21537925.
20. David H. Autor, David Dorn, et al, “The China Syndrome: Local Labor Market Effects of Import Competition in the United States,” American Economic Review 103, no. 6 (2013), http://economics.mit.edu/files/6613.
21. Gary Clyde Hufbauer and Sean Lowry, “US Tire Tariffs: Saving Few Jobs at High Cost” (policy brief, Peterson Institute for International Economics, Washington, DC, April 2012), http://www.iie.com/publications/pb/pb12-9.pdf.
22. Richard Baldwin, “Trade and Industrialization After Globalization’s 2nd Unbundling: How Building and Joining a Supply Chain Are Different and Why It Matters” (working paper, National Bureau of Economic Research, Cambridge, MA, December 2011), http://siteresources.worldbank.org/INTRANETTRADE/Resources/Baldwin_NBER_Working_Paper_17716.pdf.
23. “Interconnected Economies: Benefitting from Global Value Chains” (synthesis report, OECD, Paris, France, 2013), http://www.oecd.org/sti/ind/interconnected-economies-GVCs-synthesis.pdf.
24. Staff, “Starbucks Heads for Smaller China Cities as Coffee Shops Triple,” Bloomberg, April 1, 2012, http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-04-01/starbucks-heads-for-smaller-china-cities-as-coffee-shops-triple.html.
25. Todd Moss and Ross Thuotte, “Nowhere Left to Hide” (working paper, Center for Global Development, Washington, DC, March 2013), http://www.cgdev.org/files/1427009_file_Moss_Thuotte_market_correlations_FINAL.pdf.
26. Charles Krauthammer, “Decline Is a Choice,” The Weekly Standard, October 19, 2005, http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/017/056lfnpr.asp?page=3.
27. Dina Smeltz, Foreign Policy in the New Millenium: Results of the 2012 Chicago Council Survey of American Public Opinion and US Foreign Policy (Chicago, Chicago Council on Global Affairs, 2012), http://www.thechicagocouncil.org/UserFiles/File/Task%20Force%20Reports/2012_CCS_Report.pdf.
28. “Monthly Summary of Contribution (Police, UN Military Experts on Mission and Troops)” last updated November 30, 2013, United Nations, http://www.un.org/en/peacekeeping/contributors/2013/nov13_1.pdf.
29. Martin Wolf, “The Dangers of Living in A Zero-Sum World Economy,” Financial Times, December 19, 2007, http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/0447f562-ad85-11dc-9386-0000779fd2ac.html#axzz2pYVj4eLq.